Thursday, January 14, 2010

Great wineries to visit

Today we visited four wineries, Graton Ridge ( Russian River Valley), Rochioli (Dry Creek Valley), Porter Creek ( Dry Creek Valley) and Hop Kiln (Dry Creek Valley) all of which were impressive wineries.
Graton Ridge was established in 2007, I believe, and has already won medals for a few of their wines, so to say the least it is definately an up and comer... I personally think the Zinfindel needs to sit for a while so the fruit has a chance to develop, but when it does, watch out. I would get it now before it becomes a library.
Rochioli is amazing... The tasting room only offers two wines at a time that they release every couple of months and today, I tasted a Chard and a Pinot, which were both fantastic. Don't miss this one! I think they are releasing a Sauv blanc and another Pinot in a few months and I can't wait to try them.
Hop Kiln has good wine, but nothing that really stood out and slapped me in the face. Very interesting story behind the building itself though - you should read up on it. "1000 flowers" was nice on the palate as wall as their "Big Red" Bordeaux blend.
Porter Creek was great. The welcome was warm, and the service was impecable, as well as the wine. Excellent Chard and Pinot - they also had a reserve Pinot that wasn't open unfortunately, because I'm sure it would have been great. Right down the road from Rochioli too. If your in the area, I suggest you kill two bird with one stone. Really good Viognier.
All and all, I would consider today a success for sure. These are four wineries/vineyards that I wouldn't miss if I were you. If you have a chance to visit, please let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment