Saturday, January 9, 2010

My favorite bottle of wine?

Today I helped my better half with a project at the restaurant she manages, Nectar at the Hilton Sonoma wine country in Santa Rosa. When all was said and done, her General Manager was very pleased and asked her to ask me what my favorite bottle of wine was. I was stumped, that is a question that is not easily answered. I must have tasted thousands of wines and liked hundreds of them, loved a percentage of the ones I liked, but couldn't quiteput my finger on "The One". I don't even think it's possible. Sometimes you want white, sometimes red, sometimes a cab and sometimes a zin or on a nice summer day maybe a chard or Sauv blanc. There are so many options that I couldn't make up my mind.
I have come to the realization that I personally don't have a favorite bottle, vineyard, varietal or taste... It's all about that particular moment. So when she ask's me again tomorrow I'll have an answer, until then I don't know. Do you?

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more. Many wines, very litle time. I often find that even in a single varietal or style I am shocked by some "new to me" wine that knocks my socks off. Today's favorite is a Port from Prager. For those that don't know. Get there and know it. The port I am enjoying is a 2004 Tomas and it is beyond awesome.

    ReplyDelete